$10 – $12 an hour
High school or equivalent (Preferred)
Veterinary assistant: 1 year (Preferred)
Full Job Description
We are looking for a Veterinary Assistant to care for animals and support Veterinarians. You’ll play an important role in bringing comfort to our furry patients and ensuring the smooth running of our facility. One of the most important Veterinary Assistant responsibilities is to ensure all areas are clean, for animals and humans alike. We’ll rely on you to assist the Veterinarian in examinations and operations. Do you love animals? Then you’re halfway there. You need the ability to care for them properly – that’s one of the most important Vet Assistant job requirements. This includes knowledge of routine tasks, like feeding or bathing animals, but also readiness to care for injured or scared animals that might occasionally lash out. If you’re organized, quick on your feet and have the stomach to help with medical operations, we’d like to meet you.
- *START DATE WILL NOT BE UNTIL AUGUST/SEPTEMBER* Responsibilities -Feed, walk and weigh animals -Clean cages and bathe animals
- Sterilize equipment and clean examination tables and rooms –
- Restrain animals during examinations or vaccinations
- Soothe upset or frightened animals
- Administer medication prescribed by Veterinarians (e.g. by mixing it with food)
- Observe animal behavior or health condition and report to the Vet -Help in cases of emergencies
- Handle administrative duties such as scheduling appointments, answering phones or calling patients in the examination room by priority
- Keep accurate records and logs
- Reassure clients that their pets are being cared for and explain issues (e.g. lack of appointments, insurance matters)
- Proven experience as a Veterinary Assistant, Administrative Assistant or similar position working with animals/people.
- Experience in an administrative role is a plus
- Excellent communication skills
- Patient and caring personality
- Ability to follow instructions properly
- Comfortable being around animals (cats, dogs, etc.)
- Ability to meet the physical demands of the job (e.g. lift up to 40 lbs)
- Ability to multitask effectively -High school diploma; a certificate from a Veterinary Assistant program is a plus
- Must be a “team-player”
- Must have a passion for animals, large & small
- Punctual & reliable -Must be willing to learn new things & apply them in your day-to-day work
- The right candidate will possess the ability to have fun at work, while ensuring quality care for our patients is maintained. *Please note: This position is essentially a “catch-all” position and requires excellent multi-tasking skills.
- If you feel that this position could be the right fit for you, please send cover letter, resume, and times of availability.
- MUST BE OKAY WITH THE SIGHT OF BLOOD AND BODILY FLUIDS. If you cannot stand the sight of either , please do not apply. **Not accepting Facebook applications. Please send complete resume and cover letter.
- Some Saturdays from 8am-12pm may be required at a later date.
Job Type: Part-time
Pay: $10.00 – $12.00 per hour
- Employee discount
- Paid time off
- Professional development assistance
- Referral program
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- Bonus pay
All clients are required to wear mask, and so will employee’s until further notice.
Curbside assistance is recommended. Additional sterilizing performed daily.
- High school or equivalent (Preferred)
- Veterinary assistant: 1 year (Preferred)
- One location