From $10 an hour
High school or equivalent (Preferred)
Animal Handling: 1 year (Preferred)
Full Job Description
The Hancock County Commission is accepting applications for the Hancock County Animal Shelter for the position of Part-Time Animal Care Technician. An employment application form is available at http://hancockcountywv.org/comforms/Employment%20Application.pdf
Completed applications may be emailed, faxed to (304) 564-4059, or dropped off at the Courthouse located at 102 N. Court St, New Cumberland. A drop box is available in the lobby.
Position Title: Animal Care Technician
Department: Humane & Shelter Operations
Reports to: Director, Humane & Shelter Operations
Overall care of animals in the shelter. Provides constant cleanliness of cages, runs, and all shelter areas. Provides proper care and feeding of animals. Assists veterinary technician with procedures and medical care as needed.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee regularly works both indoor and outdoor in all weather conditions. The employee is frequently exposed to loud noises from animals. The employee may occasionally work in high, precarious places, steep slopes and on ladders. The employee is occasionally exposed to extreme hot and cold as well as other types of inclement weather conditions, fumes, or airborne particles, and toxic or caustic chemicals. The employee is required to wear personal protective equipment under appropriate circumstances.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide proper amount and type of food per instructions of Director of Humane & Shelter Operations and/or veterinary technician.
- Observe animal appearance and activity for signs of illness, disease, injury, discontent or discomfort and record and report to Director of Humane & Shelter Operations.
- Walks dogs several times a day to provide exercise and elimination needs.
- Provide exercise via play, walks, and socialization, as well as mental stimulation as appropriate or instructed by Director of Humane & Shelter Operations for ALL shelter animals.
- Perform cleaning and sterilization of cages, runs, shelter areas as well as equipment and tools used.
- Unpack, label, and stock supplies and donations.
- Record appetites, elimination habits, and weights as directed by Director of Humane & Shelter Operations and/or veterinary technician.
- Assist with medical procedures and testing as needed.
- Retrieve animals for viewing by potential adopters, new or rightful owners, or for transport.
- Receive incoming animals and ensure all are properly identified and in proper areas.
- Wash and dry towels and blankets.
- Perform general cleaning and trash disposal.
- May assist other departments as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
TECHNICAL SKILLS, GENERAL ABILITIES & KNOWLEDGE:
- Ability to balance multiple projects and handle stress.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Knowledge or ability to learn proper cleaning and disinfecting methods.
- Maturity, good judgment, professional manner, and professional appearance.
- Affection for animals, concern for their welfare and a willingness to accommodate animals in the workplace.
- Ability to provide or learn basic animal restraint in a humane and effective manner.
- Ability to work with senior leadership, assuring they are apprised of situations to avoid surprises.
- Ability to communicate, interact, and work effectively and cooperatively with others.
- Ability to recognize the importance of safety in the workplace, follow safety rules, practice safe work habits, utilize appropriate safety equipment, and report unsafe conditions to the appropriate person(s).
- Ability to lift or carry objects weighing up to 50pounds.
- Ability to handle strong, large animals.
- Tolerant of possible bites, scratches, and exposure to disease.
- Ability to perform physical labor requiring continual and repetitive use of large motor skills to stand, walk, sit, bend, stoop, crawl, crouch, shovel, push, pull, twist, turn, stretch, reach, and continual and repetitive use of fine motor skills and manual dexterity.
- Ability to work around equipment that generates noise, vibration, and heat.
- Demonstrated experience in a similar role, preferred.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Valid Driver’s License.
The nature of this position requires an ability to maintain confidential information and demonstration of ethical, professional conduct at all times.
- Love and compassion for animals and concern for their comfort and welfare.
- Must pass criminal background check.
- Must be authorized to work in the U.S.
- Must pass drug tests.
This position description describes the general nature and level of work performed. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this position. This position description is not intended as and does not create a contract of employment between Hancock County and any individual employee. Hancock County reserves the right to change this position description at any time within its sole discretion.
Job Type: Part-time
Pay: From $10.00 per hour
- Day shift
- High school or equivalent (Preferred)
- Animal Handling: 1 year (Preferred)
- Multiple locations
Work Location: Multiple Locations