$9 – $11 an hour
High school or equivalent (Required)
Day Shift (Required)
Kennel: 1 year (Preferred)
Full Job Description
Position Title: Kennel Assistant/Animal Caretaker
Position Summary: Kennel Assistant/Animal Caretakers are responsible for the daily care of the cats and small animals at the shelter.
The Chippewa Humane Association seeks to relieve the suffering of homeless companion animals. By setting an example of excellence in animal care and placement, humane education, and community leadership, we can successfully emphasize their importance.
₋ Keeps all client or employee information confidential.
₋ Treats our visitors, volunteers and fellow employees with courtesy and respect.
₋ Maintains ongoing communication and collaboration with team members.
₋ Possesses information, skill, and understanding of the work to be performed.
₋ Abides by all safety requirements both personally and in handling of animals.
₋ Attends required orientation, in-services and meetings and participates in educational opportunities when offered.
₋ Complies with all standards, policies and procedures including dress code, attendance and punctuality.
Essential Job Functions
-Daily feeding, watering and cleaning of all animal areas; confirm that food and water dishes
have been filled prior to departing at the end of the day.
-Closely monitoring medical/behavioral observation logs to ensure each animal is receiving the
-Medicating animals that need antibiotics/vaccines/deworming/etc.
-Mopping, sweeping, laundry, dishwashing and removing trash for kennels and common areas.
-Washing windows and walls as directed.
– Deep cleaning once a week including spraying/washing down of all the kennels in the shelter.
– Following cleaning, feeding, and watering protocols to maintain the health of the animals.
– Ensuring the checklist items are done daily.
– Confirming the housing areas is organized and presentable and that all animals have
appropriate blankets, toys, and other items of comfort.
– Maintaining animal/cleaning supply inventory by notifying management that stock needs to be
replenished and providing adequate notice.
– Communicating any observed animal health and/or behavioral changes to the Shelter
Director and documenting in logbook.
– Preparing animals prior to surgical procedures by withholding food and displaying proper
notice to other employees as directed.
– Driving transport vans and assisting with transport of animals to vets.
– Communicating and working with the general public when accepting stray animals.
-Being available to work weekends, holidays, and special events as scheduled.
– Accepting other duties as assigned.
Kennel Assistant/Animal Caretaker– page two
Physical and Mental Requirements
– Ability to remain standing for long periods of time.
– Must be capable of stretching and lifting up to 50 lbs.
– Ability to perform physical tasks that include but are not limited to climbing, bending,
stooping, kneeling, twisting, reaching, crawling, holding and lifting.
– Ability to work in small confined places.
-May experience feelings of sadness, helplessness and anger at times when working with animals
and difficult situations; discuss with Shelter Director for guidance.
Occasional exposure to moderate environmental variations, above-normal noise levels, and/or unpleasant substances. May be exposed to hazardous or potentially injurious elements or conditions. During the course of duties, may occasionally be at risk for occupational exposure to chemicals (for example disinfectants and soaps).
Certification, Licensures, Registrations
Employees must possess a valid driver’s license.
Prior experience working with animals REQUIRED
Job Type: Part-time
Pay: $9.00 – $11.00 per hour
- Flexible schedule
- Day shift
- Weekend availability
We are closely following all OSHA guidelines for covid-19 precautions in the workplace
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Chippewa Falls, WI 54729: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Preferred)
- Are you comfortable working closely with urine, stool, worms, lice, mites, vomit and so on?
- High school or equivalent (Required)
- Kennel: 1 year (Preferred)
- Day Shift (Required)
- One location
Work Location: One location