Headquarters: Lakin Farm – West Columbia, WV
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Nature of Work:
This position supervises farm staff at a state-owned farm to ensure that all work is conducted in a safe, acceptable manner in conformity with currently accepted agriculture practices.
Examples of Work:
- Supervise farm workers, inmate labor and mechanics involved in farming and other supportive activities.
- Perform routine operation of machinery, animal care and cropping systems.
- Perform farming tasks such as plowing, feeding, and caring for animals as necessary.
- Assist in training farm employees in specific farming techniques and procedures or equipment operation.
- Observe farming operations by making frequent rounds throughout the farm to ensure that productivity and efficiency are being optimized.
- Determine appropriate time, methods and personnel needed for farming activities such as fertilizing, planting, harvesting, storing, etc.
- Oversee and complete farm equipment maintenance and repairs.
- Diagnose the need for repairs and schedule repairs on site or at other locations as necessary.
- Oversee and complete body repairs on WVDA vehicles and equipment.
- Other duties as assigned.
Standing, sitting, driving, walking, lifting up to 100 lbs., functioning in and working in proximity of farm animals and operating machinery, harvesting, outside work and exposure to inclement weather.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of farm operations.
- Working knowledge of cropping systems for tillage, planting, spraying, and harvesting.
- Working knowledge of animal health programs including vaccinations, parasite control, breeding, and calving.
- Working knowledge of pasture management for rotational grazing and fertilization practices.
- Working knowledge of farm machinery and the maintenance and repair techniques used to properly troubleshoot and service the equipment.
- Working knowledge of rules, regulations, policies and objectives of the West Virginia Department of Agriculture.
- Working knowledge of agency reporting procedures and administrative policies.
- Ability to supervise and train a variety of farm workers and other subordinates associated with farming operations.
- Skilled in operating all types of farm machinery.
- Skilled in assisting cows during calving.
- Ability to make timely decisions concerning farm management activities.
- Ability to complete repairs and perform maintenance on farm equipment and vehicles.
- Ability to delegate, direct and oversee the work of others.
Education: High School Diploma required, Associate degree in agriculture, education, or related field, and/or ASE Master Certification preferred.
Experience: Two years of experience in automotive and/or farm machinery repair.
Substitutions: Five years of experience in automotive and/or farm machinery and 5 years of Supervisory experience.
- Valid driver’s license is required.
- Satisfactory completion of pre-employment drug testing.
- Satisfactory completion of pre-employment law enforcement background investigation, including DMV records.
- Must maintain a positive image of the Commissioner, West Virginia Department of Agriculture, and the State of West Virginia.
This description is subject to review and revision at the discretion of the Commissioner and designees.
West Virginia Department of Agriculture is an equal opportunity employer