Full Job Description
West Virginia University is currently accepting applications for a Clinical Veterinarian.
About the Opportunity
As a Clinical Veterinarian in the WVU system, you will become part of team of 4 veterinarians and 6 veterinary technicians to provide state of the art veterinary care for research/teaching animals. During your time with the team you will work together to meet the day to day mission of the overall WVU program.
You will have a joint appointment in the Office of Laboratory Animal Resources (OLAR) (70%) and Davis College of Agriculture (30%) in Morgantown, WV. OLAR provides animal care for all animals used in biomedical research at WVU. Davis College of Agriculture has several farm operations in Morgantown and surrounding areas. An on-call schedule is shared amongst multiple team members and there are very few after hours calls.
At WVU, we strongly believe in work-life balance and keeping time for things we love outside our work.
WVU offers generous benefits, including:
- 37.5-hour work week.
- 13 paid holidays (staff holiday calendar).
- 24 annual leave (vacation) days per year.
- 18 sick days per year.
- (for when you’re ill, for when you need time to care for sick family, for your own, or your family’s, regularly scheduled medical appointments. Who is family for the purpose of this leave? A lot of people in your life including immediate relatives and in-laws as well as others considered to be members of your household living under the same roof).
- WVU offers a range of health insurance and other benefits (this position is a benefits-eligible non-classified staff position).
- 401(a) retirement savings with 6% employee contribution match, eligibility to continue health insurance, and other retiree perks. Looking for more retirement benefits information? Check out retirement health insurance benefits, retirement income, and FAQ’s.
- Wellness programs.
- Nationally competitive salary.
- Allowance for moving expenses is available.
What you’ll do
- Help administer an animal care and use program that is in regulatory compliance and exceeds USDA, OLAW, and AAALAC standards.
- Provide veterinary care and surgical support to large animals (sheep, pigs, rabbits).
- Provide routine veterinary care for standard agricultural species housed in a farm setting.
- Share veterinary coverage for the animal care program (OLAR and Davis College), which include herd health, clinical/diagnostic treatments, internal medicine, and surgery.
- Share rotating on-call duties.
- Provide back-up clinical care.
- Maintain written and/or computerized medical records, SOPs, and policies regarding veterinary care and health surveillance programs and for regulatory compliance purposes.
- DVM/VMD degree from an AVMA accredited program or equivalent.
- A minimum of two (2) years involving:
- Animal experience (can be during your academic career – recent graduates are encouraged to apply).
- Experience/interest in working with domestic, farm, and/or laboratory species.
- Interest in providing veterinary care for animals used in research and teaching in both a traditional agricultural and biomedical setting. New graduates are welcome to apply.
- Strong interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to develop collegial relationships with researchers, farm/husbandry staff, students and stakeholders are essential to this position.
- Current veterinary licensure in at least one state is required, with the expectation that WV licensure will be acquired within the first 6 months of employment.
- Valid US driver’s license is required.
- Medical Monitoring – This position may or may not require Medical Monitoring, including periodic health monitoring and/or training.
- A cover letter describing your background, work philosophy, why you are interested in this position, and your future career plans.
- Current resume.
- Contact information for three (3) professional references.
At West Virginia University, we pride ourselves on a tireless endeavor for achievement. We are home to some of the most passionate, innovative minds in the country who push their limits for the sake of progress, constantly moving the world forward. Our students, faculty and staff make this institution one of the best out there, and we are proud to stand as one voice, one university, one WVU. Find out more about your opportunities as a Mountaineer at https://talentandculture.wvu.edu/.
Not sure of what all amazing things the Morgantown area has to offer for you to do during your newly found work-life balance? Why just visit when you can have all of this around you each day! Check out https://www.visitmountaineercountry.com to find out more!
West Virginia University is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer and is the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff, and students, and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.
Job Posting: Sep 20, 2021
Posting Classification: Non-Classified
Exemption Status: Exempt
Benefits Eligible: Yes