From $9.25 an hour
High school or equivalent (Preferred)
Full Job Description
JOB TITLE: Animal Caregiver
REPORTS TO: Shelter Manager
EMPLOYMENT TYPE: Part-Time (Includes Weekends and Holidays)
STATUS: Hourly; Non-Exempt
The Animal Caregiver is responsible for the physical, emotional and behavioral needs of all animals at the Humane Society of Barron County. The Animal Caregiver must objectively communicate medical and behavioral observations appropriately, be respectful of HSBC facilities and animals, while also understanding the animals in their care are adjusting to a shelter environment. The Animal Caregiver is responsible for helping alleviate the stress of this adjustment period through proper cleaning protocols, low-stress handling, and enriching the lives of all animals.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide exceptional, courteous, and compassionate customer service to the public, volunteers and other staff members at all times.
- Perform and follow established cleaning, feeding and animal handling procedures.
- Perform cleaning duties including, but not limited to: scrubbing animal housing areas, cleaning beds and carriers, sweeping, mopping, doing laundry, and emptying garbage.
- Handle animals of all sizes, ages, temperament, sand needs safely and appropriately.
- Provide all animals with appropriate housing, food, water, bedding, toys and other mental stimulation and enrichment, as well as safe and appropriate social interactions.
- Follow established safety procedures for all aspects of the shelter, with special emphasis on animal handling and cleaning chemicals.
- Report concerns about animal behavior and health to the Shelter Manager.
- Report safety and maintenance issues to the Shelter Manager.
- Cross-train to gain familiarity and comfort following procedures and policies working with both dogs and cats.
- Use proper walking protocol while handling dogs and assist volunteers in appropriate protocols.
- Encourage adopters and visitors to participate in HSBC events, as applicable.
- Maintain all work areas in a neat and aesthetically pleasing manner, with an emphasis on safety, cleanliness, and sanitation.
- Participate in staff meetings and training opportunities.
- Honor confidentiality of shelter business.
- Stay up to date with all procedures and policy changes.
- Follow and promote to the public all HSBC policies and philosophies.
- Handle animals humanely and safely at all times.
- Perform light maintenance.
- Assist medical staff by properly administering or restraining animals during vaccinations, microchips, blood draws, medications and exams.
- Perform other related duties as assigned by the Shelter Manager.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- Must be 18 years of age.
- High School Diploma or GED
- Possess a valid Driver’s License
- Shelter, animal boarding, kennel, or doggie daycare experience preferred.
- Experience working with medical and behavioral needs of companion animals preferred.
- Familiarity with Shelter Management Software, Microsoft Office and G Suite a plus.
- Compassion and empathy for animals and human clients.
- Comfort handling all companion animals, including, but not limited to, dogs and cats.
- Demonstrate a high standard of work standards and work ethics.
- Ability to effectively communicate, both verbally and in writing, with staff, volunteers, and clients.
- Ability to understand pertinent procedures and functions quickly and apply them without immediate supervision.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team.
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
- Ability to remain calm in emotional situations.
- Excellent attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Multitasking and time-management skills, with the ability to prioritize tasks.
- Customer-service orientation
- Highly motivated and energetic
- Ability to show initiative and work independently
- Ability to attend and participate in training sessions
- Ability to be discreet and handle sensitive/confidential information appropriately
- Ability to handle diverse, simultaneous tasks, meet deadlines, and follow through
- A positive outlook and vision
- Must stand by HSBC policies and philosophes
- Lifelong learner who enjoys improving knowledge
- Strong professionalism in both appearance and presentation
- Regular and predictable attendance
The conditions herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential function of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
- Environment: Indoor and outdoor environment; exposure to noises, vibrations, odors, dust, chemicals and noxious fumes; work in inclement weather including: rain, heat, sun, snow and cold. Employee may be exposed to animal feces and animals with a potential for zoonotic exposure.
- Physical: Requires sufficient mobility for walking, standing, sitting, bending or kneeling for prolonged periods of time; ability to routinely transport materials, supplies and animals weighing up to 50 pounds, and at times handle animals up to and in excess of 100 pounds.
NOTE: This position description is not intended to be all-inclusive. You may be required to perform other related duties within your skill set as directed by Shelter Management to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Job Type: Part-time
Pay: From $9.25 per hour
- Employee discount
- 8 hour shift
- Weekend availability
The Humane Society of Barron County is currently open by appointment only to limit the amount of people in the building.
- Please explain why you are interested in working with animals at the Humane Society of Barron County.
- High school or equivalent (Preferred)
- animal-related work: 1 year (Preferred)
- One location