$26,000 a year
High school or equivalent (Preferred)
Full Job Description
The Lead Caregiver is responsible for the daily care of animals at the Humane Society of Barron County; including cleaning, feeding, socialization, medical, and enrichment. This person will work closely with the shelter manager to ensure a high level of animal welfare is maintained and assist in transitioning animals to their forever home. The Lead Caregiver provides leadership, oversight, and guidance to care staff and volunteers. The Lead Caregiver ensures that all animals are provided the highest standard of care possible. The Lead Caregiver will perform hands-on animal care on a daily basis.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide a positive example regarding work ethic, attitude, professional ethics, knowledge of policies/procedures, interpersonal interactions, and mutual respect.
- Provide exceptional, courteous, and compassionate customer service to the public, volunteers, and other staff members at all times.
- Ensure all animals are provided with appropriate housing, food, water, bedding, toys, and other mental stimulation and enrichment, as well as safe and appropriate social interactions.
- Ensure all cleaning, feeding, and animal handling procedures are in line with current Best Practice; assist staff to ensure compliance.
- Ensure accuracy and compliance with safety procedures for all aspects of the shelter, with special emphasis on animal handling and cleaning chemicals.
- Observe, assess, and ensure all animal behavior and health concerns are dealt with in accordance with best practices.
- Handle animals humanely and safely at all times; and assist staff and volunteers to do the same.
- Handle animals of all sizes, ages, temperaments, and needs safely and appropriately.
- Ensure use of proper walking protocol while handling dogs and assist staff and volunteers in appropriate protocols.
- Assist medical staff by properly administering or restraining animals during vaccinations, microchips, blood draws, medications and exams as necessary.
- Provide a focus on adoptions including timely and appropriate placement of animals and work to reduce the average length of stay and adoption returns.
- Honor confidentiality of shelter business.
- Provide leadership to shelter personnel and volunteers regarding HSBC policies and procedures.
- Assist Shelter Manager with monthly staff training related to animal care as needed
- Assist Shelter Manager in ensuring all procedures and policies related to animal care are up to date with current best practice.
- Update and maintain animal records on the Animal Shelter Manager program with a specific focus on medical regimens, health, and diet.
- Ensure that all adoptable animals are available in shelter management software and up to date on external adoption sites, such as PetFinder.
- Assist with building and equipment maintenance as required, including but not limited to: interior and exterior of building, grounds, kennel areas, shelter vehicles, yard maintenance/equipment, snow/ice removal, computers, printers and security system.
- Works with the Manager to develop and implement cost saving measures.
- Participate in staff meetings and training opportunities.
- Encourage public participation in HSBC events and assist with events as needed.
- Follow and promote to the public all HSBC policies and philosophies.
- Assist in oversight of Foster Program; including screening of qualified applicants and foster matches and coordination of medical care of animals within foster care.
- Assist with coordination of Shelter Transfer Program; including collecting relevant information on incoming transfers from other organizations, as well as providing relevant information for transfers of shelter animals to other organizations.
- Perform other related duties as assigned by the Manager.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- Associates Degree and 1 year of relevant work experience or equivalent work experience.
- Possess a valid Driver’s License, a clean driving record and have the ability to drive 15 passenger cargo van.
- Animal care experience required; animal sheltering experience strongly preferred.
- Experience working with medical and behavioral needs of companion animals preferred.
- Proficiency with Shelter Management Software preferred, experience with Microsoft Office, G Suite required.
- Fear Free Certification required (or ability to obtain within 30 days of hire); familiarity with low-stress handling techniques strongly preferred
- Compassion and empathy for animals and human clients.
- Skilled handling of all companion animals, including but not limited to dogs and cats.
- Demonstrate a high standard of work standards and work ethics; treats people and animals with respect, keeps commitments, inspires the trust of others, works with integrity and ethically, upholds organizational mission and values.
- Oral Communication- Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations, listens and gets clarification, responds well to questions and actively participates in meetings.
- Ability to effectively motivate a team.
- Ability to understand, provide, and carry out oral and written instructions.
- Ability to work in an emotionally taxing field- positive attitude and sense of humor are essential.
- Excellent attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Multitasking and time-management skills, with the ability to prioritize tasks and work efficiently.
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule including some nights, weekends, and holidays.
The conditions herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential function of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
- Environment: Indoor and outdoor environment; exposure to noises, vibrations, odors, dust, chemicals and noxious fumes; work in inclement weather including: rain, heat, sun, snow and cold. Employee may be exposed to animal feces and animals with a potential for zoonotic exposure.
- Physical: Requires sufficient mobility for walking, standing, sitting, bending or kneeling for prolonged periods of time; ability to routinely transport materials, supplies, and animals weighing up to 50 pounds, and at times handle animals up to and in excess of 100 pounds.
NOTE: This position description is not intended to be all-inclusive. You may be required to perform other related duties within your skill set as directed by the Shelter Manager and/or the Board of Directors to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $26,000.00 per year
- Employee discount
- 8 hour shift
The Humane Society of Barron County is currently open by appointment only to limit the amount of people in the building.
- Please explain why you are interested in working with animals at the Humane Society of Barron County.
- High school or equivalent (Preferred)
- animal-related work: 1 year (Preferred)
- One location
Company’s Facebook page:
- Waiting period may apply
- Only full-time employees eligible
- Remote interview process
- Personal protective equipment provided or required
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place