From $11 an hour
High school or equivalent (Required)
Driver’s License (Required)
Animal care: 1 year (Preferred)
Full Job Description
Elmbrook Humane Society, Inc.
Title: Animal Caregiver – Environmental Team
Reports to: Director of Animal Care and Field Services
Starting pay $11/hour
Part-time/ Weekly Schedule is Sunday (8-5), Thursday (8-6), and Friday (8-6)
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
To serve as a team member who provides high quality care for the animals under the protection of Elmbrook Humane Society (EBHS). To assist in providing education to the community through adoption counseling and participating in community events. To maintain a commitment to the philosophies and policies of EBHS in the performance of his/her duties and respect the dignity and basic rights of each animal. To support the mission and vision of EBHS.
- Provide proper care including housing, husbandry, exercise, socialization according to EBHS policies and industry standards for animals under the care of EBHS.
- Provide great adoption and foster counseling and education to ensure appropriate matches are being made between EBHS animals and prospective adopters/foster homes.
- Assist with maintaining accurate paper and electronic records.
- Maintain and follow all departmental procedures, protocols, and safety guidelines.
- Properly label, mix, and dilute chemicals.
- Maintain the cleanliness, organization, and upkeep of the shelter.
- Assist with the proper disposal of hazardous waste.
- Unpack, label, and stock supplies and donations.
- Provide quality customer service.
- Represent the organization in a professional and courteous manner.
- As needed, provide great adoption counseling and education to ensure appropriate matches are being made between EBHS animals and prospective adopters.
- Attend and participate in meetings, training programs, and continuing education.
- Take inventory and prepare supply order on a weekly basis.
- Support the requirements outlined by DATCP to ensure EBHS is in compliance with the Dog Breeder and Sellers licensing and inspection procedures.
- Follow safe handling procedures as they pertain to animals and cleaning agents. Know the location of Safety Data Sheets (SDS) and fire extinguishers.
- Assist with providing training and supervision to volunteers as requested by the Community Outreach and Volunteer Manager and Director of Animal Care and Field Services.
- Notify Medical Team of animal medical needs/concerns.
- Notify Behavior Team of animal behavioral needs/concerns.
- Assist with providing training to staff as requested by the Director of Animal Care and Field Services.
- Participate in organizational committee initiatives.
- Participate in rotational pager duty as required to include capture, pick-up, and transport of domestic and wild animals.
- Support an environment that encourages communication and collaboration among all staff and volunteer positions and a culture that is service-orientated, relationship-based, and donor-centered.
- All other duties assigned.
- Animal welfare work experience preferred.
- Valid Driver’s License required
- Willingness and aptitude to learn about domestic, exotic, and wild animals.
- Commitment to EBHS Core Values:
- Balance and Compassion. Uniting our heads and our hearts to impact relationships and make mindful decisions.
- Ingenuity. Being innovative, resourceful, and thoughtful in caring for animals and people.
- Collaborative. Working together to accomplish more.
- Integrity. Doing what is right even when no one is watching and setting the best example when they are.
- Respect. Recognizing the differences of and being kind to all animals and people.
- Able to adapt quickly and work in a fast paced environment.
- Professional public image.
- Able to work with minimal supervision and/or with a team.
- Experienced animal handling skills.
- Proven customer service skills.
- Computer literate and ability to operate office equipment.
- Excellent oral, written, and organizational skills with attention to detail.
- Able to work flexible hours, which may include evenings, weekends, and holidays.
- Able to lift and carry animals, equipment, and supplies in excess of 50 pounds.
- Passion for issues relating to animal welfare.
- Physical demands include:
- Lifting and moving animals, kennels, and other equipment.
- Frequent movement, including but not limited to; standing, walking, stooping, carrying heavy loads, movement of kennels, restraining active animals, and operation of motor vehicles.
- Working conditions include:
- Possible exposure to dangerous, diseased, frightened, and injured animals.
- Possible exposure to zoonotic diseases.
- Possible exposure to potentially harmful chemicals and drugs.
- Working with strong cleaning agents on wet surfaces.
- Indoor and outdoor work in all weather conditions.
- Emotional demands include:
- Animal abuse.
- Animal neglect.
Elmbrook Humane Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job Type: Part-time
Pay: From $11.00 per hour
- Employee discount
- 10 hour shift
- On call
- Weekend availability
- High school or equivalent (Required)
- Animal care: 1 year (Preferred)
- Driver’s License (Required)
- One location