$14 – $17 an hour
High school or equivalent (Preferred)
Pet Grooming: 1 year (Preferred)
Full Job Description
Reporting Structure: The Groomer works under the direct supervision of the Veterinary Practice Manager. Kennel manager, veterinary practice manager, veterinarians and veterinary technicians may provide specific instructions for grooming or special sanitary procedures. Recurring assignments are performed independently. Deviations or unfamiliar situations are referred to the supervisor.
Groomer Objectives: The Groomer provides care, grooming and basic needs to patients who are being groomed, boarded, or who are patients.
Position type and expected hours of work:
· Full or Part-Time
· Weekend shifts required
Education and Experience:
· Groomer experience and/or certificate
· Previous veterinary experience preferred
· Observe patient appearance and activity for general physical condition, obvious signs of illness, disease and discontent
· Take charge of and handle patients; as required, properly restrain hard to control animals.
· Perform grooming services, including brush, clipping, hand scissoring, trims and shapes dogs’ coats to groom dogs using knowledge of canine characteristic, grooming techniques and styles and owners’ instructions.
· Provide medicated (when instructed) and general cleansing, parasite control baths, pedicures, medicated dips (when instructed) and ear cleansing, as required for each pet.
· Exhibit a technical knowledge of products and medications sold, including dietary products. Demonstrate the ability to explain and educate clients on products and answer their questions regarding product purchase/use.
· Ability to work with chemicals when performing medicated baths and dips. Knowledge of OSHA requirements when handling hazardous chemicals (i.e. medicated shampoos and dips).
· Admit patients including inputting data into computer software.
· Admit pets to be groomed noting owner’s specific instructions, contact information and pick up time. Ascertain what veterinary services are required to be completed. In accordance with hospital operating instructions determine care required in agreement with the individual needs and circumstances of animals.
· Provide care for patients housed/visiting the hospital; perform work according to established methods specified in hospital procedure manual or following special instructions; report signs of illness, disease, injury or unusual activity to veterinary technicians or veterinarians.
· Train, supervise and assist the Grooming Assistant in their performance of a variety of service functions. Set performance standards and monitor performance. Conduct timely performance evaluations.
· Perform all general maintenance of grooming room and yard; clean and disinfect cages, tubs, grooming tables, and yard at least once daily; vacuum floor; mop floor; empty trash; clean clipper blades, scissors and brushes after use; perform monthly dryer and clipper maintenance
· Apply knowledge and skills in controlling and/or handling individual animal temperament.
· Ability to gain animal confidence when restraining them for grooming.
· Knowledge of proper methods of animal restraint.
· Knowledge of grooming practices for wide range of small animals, including hand-scissoring skills.
· Ability to place dog on grooming table.
- Possession of strong organizational skills.
· Knowledge of the spelling and meaning of commonly used terminology of veterinary medicine to accurately record results of tests and file veterinary medical reports according to alpha, numeric or subject matter headings.
· Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
· Ability to work independently on assigned tasks as well as to accept direction on given assignments. Understand and carry out oral and written direction.
· Knowledge of principles and processes for providing client and personal services. This includes client needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of client satisfaction.
· Regular attendance and timeliness are an essential function in order to fulfill the requirements of this position.
· Knowledge of hospital procedures and operating instructions for making appointments, assembling patient medical records, recording test results, relaying information regarding patient’s condition, and compiling and submitting data on patients treated
· Performs other duties as assigned.
· Ability to multi-task
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Possess exceptional interpersonal communication skills.
· Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
· Requires active listening skills, giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points be made, asking questions as appropriate and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
· Requires telephone conversations
· Requires use of electronic mail
· Requires writing letters and memos
· Requires face-to-face discussions with individuals or team members
· Work well with all employees and ensure that your actions support the hospital, the doctors, and the practice philosophy.
- Ability to work independently on assigned tasks as well as to accept direction on given assignments.
· Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals or the practice to make improvements or take corrective action.
· Ability to adjust actions in relation to other’s actions
· Teaching others how to perform a task
· Actively looking for ways to help others
· Being aware of others’ reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
· Requires dealing with unpleasant, angry or discourteous people
- Knowledge of computers and relevant software applications including MS Office (Word).
· Perform routine maintenance on equipment and determine when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time
Pay: $14.00 – $17.00 per hour
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- 10 hour shift
- High school or equivalent (Preferred)
- Pet Grooming: 1 year (Preferred)
- One location
Typical start time:
Typical end time: