$10 an hour
Full Job Description
Reports to: Kennel Supervisor and Animal Operations Manager
Hours: 2 positions. 15 and 20 hours per week; This is a permanent part time position that requires weekend and holiday availably. It is not a seasonal position. A fixed weekend day is required but exact hours/days to be determined.
Scope of the Position: The Kennel department is looking for a part time Animal Caretaker. Responsible for providing high quality care to the animals in the shelter. Duties include but are not limited to: daily cleaning of all animal cages and enclosures; providing daily water and appropriate diets to all animals; Daily behavior and health observations and record keeping; Communication with all appropriate departments regarding behavior and health concerns; Detailed record keeping and data entry; handling and restraining a variety of animals in a safe and humane manner; providing guidance to volunteers.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Daily Cleaning, Feeding and General Care 70%
- In a timely manner, clean and maintain all domestic animal enclosures, providing proper animal husbandry, following established disease control protocols.
- Deep cleaning and set up of all vacated animal enclosures.
- Provide food and water daily to all animals in accordance with established feeding guidelines incorporating various feeding enrichment.
- Carefully observe animal health and behavior and provide proper communication of such with appropriate departments of the shelter.
- Complete daily animal bookwork and data entry in pet record software.
- Assist with laundry and dishes
- Deep clean animal carriers.
- Ensure that all animals have blankets or appropriate bedding and toys at all times.
- Assist with all opening, noon, afternoon, and closing duties.
- Ensure the cleanliness and organization of assigned work area, including daily removal of trash and clutter.
- Maintain outside of buildings in a clean and orderly manner.
- Repair or report any broken or damaged equipment in a timely manner
- Restock all work areas
- Work Cooperatively; provide training and courteous assistance to volunteers and coworkers
- Other duties as required.
Internal Communications 15%
- Report/consult with shelter medical staff about animal medical concerns.
- Inform Animal Operations Manager and/or Kennel Supervisor of animals that may not be suitable for adoption, space issues and anything else that would reduce the flow of animals from the admitting rooms to other areas within the shelter.
- Monitor inventory of supplies and notify appropriate personnel when supplies are needed.
- Enter all information into the computer especially when moving animals from cages, kennels or rooms. Keep all paperwork and addendums updated and accurate including treatment records.
- Communicate effectively and completely on all documentation, including date, time, and initials for every note or memo written.
- Communicate with the Canine Behavior Team about the dogs’ well-being while in the shelter.
- Communicate with the Adoption Center about any pertinent information to convey to potential adopters.
- Other duties as assigned.
Animal Handling and Enrichment 15%
- Handle and restrain a variety of animals in a safe and humane manner as needed.
- Provide bathroom breaks to the dog population as needed.
- Assist with grooming of animals as needed.
- Provide safe movement of animals to different enclosures
- As time allows, promote the mental health of the animals by providing enrichment including exercise, walks, activities, and human companionship.
- Participate in behavior shaping/training of animals to enhance their adoptability
- Other duties as assigned
Additional Job Duties
- Comply with all DCHS policies, procedures and protocols.
- Field general inquiries from public, always maintaining a calm, courteous manner.
- Other duties as required
- High school or equivalent education, with advanced training or experience with a wide variety of animals preferred.
- Must be 18 years of age.
- Critical evaluation and observation skills.
- Team oriented with good public relations, communications, and people skills.
- Must be able to perform repetitive tasks, multi-task, and work well under pressure.
- Must be able to squat, bend, reach, lift and carry 50 pounds safely, and be active on your feet for 8 or more hours.
- Must be able to work in conditions that involves exposure to animal allergens and cleaning animal excrement.
- Must be able to work in a kennel/shelter setting with exposure to loud sounds and strong smells.
- Must be able to work outdoors with exposure to various weather conditions.
- Must be able to work in conditions that involves exposure to disinfectant solutions while cleaning.
- Must be able to work in conditions that involves exposure to animals of various temperaments
- Basic knowledge and ability to understand aspects of disease and the causes and treatment of animal-related problems.
- Acquire and possess a thorough understanding of and dedication to the philosophies of animal welfare.
Please send DCHS application to Dawn Sands, Kennel Supervisor
5132 Voges Rd, Madison WI 53718
DCHS Application Link: https://www.giveshelter.org/assets/documents/DCHS_Employment_Application_Fillable_7-28-17.pdf
Resumes are welcome as supplement, but must be accompanied by a fully completed application.
Job Type: Part-time
Pay: $10.00 per hour
- Employee discount
- Paid time off
- 8 hour shift
- One location