From $11 an hour
Full Job Description
Watertown Humane Society Adoption Counselor/Foster Coordinator
Watertown Humane Society (WHS) is a “little shelter with a big heart” located in Watertown, Wisconsin. We are currently seeking a compassionate and dedicated person to join our team as the Animal Adoption Counselor and Foster Home Coordinator. There is a significant amount of animal interaction required in the job, as well as physical and strenuous activity.
32hrs/week salaried position.
Reports to: Executive Director
Adoption Counselor Position Summary:
The Adoption Counselor is responsible for greeting and assisting shelter visitors, volunteers, and potential adopters in addition to helping with office duties including answering phones. Adoption coordinators work directly with the public and help interested individuals through the application, screening, and adoption process. This position requires extensive knowledge of the Watertown Humane Societies animals. The ideal candidate will be outgoing, friendly, and can provide a positive experience for all shelter visitors and staff. Adoptions Counselors are expected to exhibit a positive and professional attitude.
- Greet and assist visitors with impeccable customer service.
- Provide information on WHS policies, values, missions, programs, and events, to the public.
- Process intake of stray and surrender animals, as well as output such as adoptions and return to owners.
- Willingness and ability to learn about animal behavior, common challenges, and ways to deal with challenges to match adopters with animals and to keep animals at the home.
- Impart accurate information regarding the animals to potential adopters.
- Provide behavior information and shelter approved training techniques to adopters.
- Follow adoption guidelines and protocol in accordance with WHS policies and procedures.
- Work effectively with the Adoption team and all other departments.
- Assist with answering the phones and animal database record keeping.
- Update animal records.
- Give kennel tours, meet and greets with animals, and provide knowledge of the animals to potential adopters.
- Ability to manage and schedule interactions of the potential adopter with their animals.
- Assist in walking, cleaning, and socialization of animals if needed depending on the number of animals in the shelter.
- Ensure intake photos of all stray animals at the time of intake to get posted as soon as possible, on the necessary location.
- Take Adoption photos and forward them to the Director of marketing for Facebook posting
- Be responsible for the entire adoption process, including but not limited to promoting pets shelter pet matchmaking, application review, interviewing potential adopters, and using judgment to place the pet in the best, more appropriate home
- Follow all protocols of this position.
- Customer Service- Provide assistance and advice provided to Peers, and visitors of the Animal Shelter.
- Flexible under pressure- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Positive Attitude- Be friendly, courteous, and treat everyone with respect.
- Attention to Detail – Requires being detail-oriented and thorough in completing work tasks.
- Dependability – Requires being reliable, responsible, dependable, and fulfilling obligations.
- Cooperation – Requires a positive attitude and being a team player.
- Adaptability – Ability to adapt to change in the workplace.
- Active Listening – Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, and asking questions as appropriate.
- Organized – Possessing the trait of being organized or following a systematic method of performing a task.
- Communication- Ability to communicate and listen with tact and empathy with Supervisors, Peers, and visitors of the Animal Shelter.
- Integrity – requires being honest and ethical.
- Sound Judgment- Using sound judgment when assessing potential adopters.
Skills and Abilities:
Education: High School Diploma or equivalent
Experience: 2 years’ experience in customer service, animal-related, and/or non-profit settings is ideal.
Communication: Ability to communicate and listen with tact and empathy with Supervisors, Peers, and visitors of the Animal Shelter.
Integrity – Requires being honest and ethical.
Sound Judgment- Using sound judgment when assessing potential adopters.
This job requires the ability to work on weekends and holidays.
Foster Coordinator Position Summary:
Foster Coordinator is responsible for the general health, wellness, and organization of all animals in the various foster programs; recruiting and providing training, mentorship, and on call assistance for all foster volunteers; and managing and maintaining organization of all foster programs and materials.
- Responsible for recruiting foster homes through outreach efforts and hosting foster orientations.
- Providing basic medical and care giving training to foster parents based on animal(s) going into foster homes.
- Ensuring all fosters are trained and performing in conjunction with all animal care policies and procedures of WHS when animals are in their home.
- Maintain frequent communication with foster homes via email, phone and in person to keep them updated on current foster needs and the animal’s adoption opportunities.
- Act as a point of contact (day and night) and maintain constant communication with active foster families to ensure animals receive necessary care.
- Coordinate with the Director of Animal Care: routine vaccines, deworming and microchips for all neonatal fosters, basic checkup wellness exams for routine sheltering illness
- Provide ongoing guidance/mentorship and support to foster homes. This can include: training, providing supplies, giving medical advice, emergency care support and also helping to maintain the morale of foster supporters.
- Perform any additional tasks as requested by Director of Animal Care and or Executive Director.
Skills & Experience
- Ability to act decisively in emergency situations in some cases seeking out medical care decisions for animals with illness, injury, or special needs.
- Knowledge of animal behavior, and experience working with animal welfare fostering programs is preferred experience working for or with a humane organization in a foster care role is a plus
- Must be able to work independently and use good judgement in the decision making process
- Work requires continual attention to detail. Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle multiple competing tasks and demands
- Strong interpersonal skills outgoing, professional, upbeat and energetic, team player, personable, takes initiative, and able to get along well with a variety of people.
- Demonstrate affection for animals, concern for their welfare, and a willingness to accommodate animals in the work place.
- Ability to work with animals with unknown disposition and temperament, including those that may exhibit medical and/or behavior problems
- Ability to show compassion and empathize with foster families
- Proven attention to detail with organizational and time management skills.
- Knowledge and experience in the animal welfare movement preferred.
- Ability to work courteously and cooperatively with volunteers, staff, and the public.
- Prior experience as a Veterinary Technician or relevant education or certification a plus.
- Comfortable learning new systems, including online information systems.
- Valid Driver’s License with access to transportation to travel on organization business.
- Perform strenuous physical labor including bending, stooping, reaching, lifting, etc.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs.
- Daily hours and days of the week may vary according to the needs of the department schedule: includes Saturday’s, possible holiday and on-call work.
Watertown Humane Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, domestic partner status, or medical condition.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: From $11.00 per hour
- Employee discount
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- What makes you interested about this position?