Headquarters: Lakin Farm – West Columbia, WV
FLSA Status: Exempt
Nature of Work:
This position manages state owned farms using currently accepted agricultural practices and applies new technology.
Examples of Work:
- Assists with developing and implementing operating procedures.
- Directs Daily operations of the farm and acts as frontline supervisor reporting to Farm Management
- Provide research and solutions to farm issues (pest, weeds, animal disease).
- Supervise farm workers, inmate labor and mechanics involved in farming and other supportive activities.
- Routine operation of machinery, animal management and herbicide utilization.
- Perform farming tasks such as plowing, disking, cutting and baling hay and haylege, feeding and caring for animals as necessary.
- Train farm employees in specific farming techniques and procedures.
- Observe farming operations by making frequent rounds throughout the farm to ensure that productivity and efficiency are being optimized.
- Determine appropriate time, methods and personnel needed for farming activities such as fertilizing, planting, harvesting, storing, etc.
- Oversee the breeding and health of animals, consulting veterinarians when necessary.
- Prepare financial and progress reports regarding farming operations.
- Review and approve timecards and leave requests of staff in the electronic timekeeping system.
- Other duties as assigned.
Standing, sitting, driving, walking, lifting up to 100 lbs., functioning in and working in proximity of operating machinery, exposure to herbicides and pesticides, outside work and exposure to inclement weather.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- In-depth knowledge of farm management techniques and principles.
- In-depth knowledge of chemicals used in pesticides and medicines administered to farm animals.
- In-depth knowledge of breeding and animal health programs.
- In-depth knowledge of land cultivation, crop rotation, rotational grazing and fertilization practices.
- In-depth knowledge of farm machinery and the maintenance techniques used to care for the equipment.
- In-depth knowledge of rules, regulations, policies and objectives of the West Virginia Department of Agriculture.
- In-depth knowledge of agency reporting procedures and administrative policies.
- Ability to supervise and train a variety of farm workers and other subordinates associated with farming operations.
- Skilled in operating all types of farm machinery.
- Skilled in assisting cows during calving.
- Ability to make timely decisions concerning farm management activities.
- Ability to prepare statistical and narrative status reports of farm operations.
- Ability to delegate, direct and oversee the work of others.
Education: Bachelor’s degree with a major in agriculture preferred.
Experience: Two years of experience in managing or assisting in management of a large, multi-faceted farming operation.
Substitutions: Additional years of experience in farm management in excess of the two years required may be considered for substitution for training on a year-for-year basis.
- Valid driver’s license is required.
- Satisfactory completion of pre-employment drug testing.
- Satisfactory completion of pre-employment law enforcement background investigation, including DMV records.
- Must maintain a positive image of the Commissioner, West Virginia Department of Agriculture, and the State of West Virginia.
This description is subject to review and revision at the discretion of the Commissioner and designees.
West Virginia Department of Agriculture is an equal opportunity employer